Monday, September 10, 2012

A Postcard from the Volcano

Matilda and I scoured the hillside for trinkets and old bones of animals. My sister and I would run from place to place, delighting in every rock and hillside. Then there was the accident, and our innocence was uprooted. Our delights gave way to survival and soon we were supporting each other, living off of the animals and fruit, letting the mansion, our mansion go to ruin. Everything turned sour and the leaves lost their color during their winter, and our breath lost it's heat. We grew to hate the mansion and its large vaunted walls. Everything lost its color, and our faces begin to turn into an ugly pallor...

"Look what I found!"

"Oh my god Gerald, is that a skull! Put it down!"

"Or else what? A ghost is going to come and haunt me? Haha, dont be silly Geraldine! This house is nothing but an empty ruin. Some poor guy lost all his money and had to skip town, leaving this huge place all to ourselves. Just think of all the fun we're going to have!"

The sun sets in the sky, casting shadows on the house in all the wrong places. The children keep playing, oblivious to despair.

No comments:

Post a Comment