Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The Fly In My Eye

I've been waking up a few mornings in a row to a fly. It buzzes around my head and disturbs my dreams and peace and slumber. Something wells up in my wanting to SMASH this fly into the ground. I swat at it with angry, clumsy hands, swishing through empty air and inciting it to further incite me. I put my head back to the white, downy pillow and it attacks. Buzzzzz, Buzz, buzz, Buzzzzzzzzz. I pop open my eyes in fury and try to smite it with my angry burning eyes of madness. A few half-hearted attempts at swatting it and it disappears into the air. I stay with my head perked and my arm extended, muttering curse words in my mind. The time is 10:00 AM.

 Settling back down, I burrow into the blanket of down and fluff. My head tucks in, hiding under the white protective sheets. I hear it outside. It buzzes around my head, looking for me. I want to scream but that will be to no avail. All I really want to do is sleep.

It has so disturbed my peace of mind that I have looked for this fly and its family in every nook and cranny of the house. One is dead. Others will follow. My religious zeal in exterminating these flies knows no bounds. Something about the buzzing of a fly and how it will constantly attack your face and ears, trying to penetrate into your eyes and hearing, infuriates me.  Yet, the more I focus on it the more it follows me and taunts me. It buzzes in my ear when I'm eating lunch, it follows me into Sexson's class, hovering, waiting on my backpack for me to depart. It is the source of discourse in my other class, The Revenge Tragedy.  It is a constant torment. I'm afraid that soon I will metamorphosis into a fly one morning and find that I am one of them. Then I will be the one persecuted and swatted at. My playful dabblings will be seen as malicious, my curiosity-as sinister.

The meaning of the fly in my eye is that it won't take part. It buzzes, it scurries, it swoops, it dives, it delights and incites, and wow does it make me mad.

P.S. Ironically.. While I write this I'm listening to the song, "Kiss of Life."

No comments:

Post a Comment